David Wright, New York Mets
New York Mets
~ In 2005, he established the David Wright Foundation to assist children in need in New York City and his native Norfolk, Virginia. The foundation has raised more than $1,000,000.
~ He created the “Wright Thing” program in 2013 to honor the heroes and volunteers from Super Storm Sandy. He personally donated $250,000 to the cause.
~ This year, his father Rhon retired after 30 years as the Norfolk Chief of Police. To honor him, David recognizes members of the NYPD during a season-long initiative.
~ He hosts an annual Holiday Party to raise money and brighten spirits for the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters in Norfolk.
~ During the year, he frequently visits Firehouses and Police Departments in New York City.
David Wright is a seven-time NL All-Star. He has earned two Gold Gloves and two Silver Slugger Awards. In 2014, MLB Network named him the “Face of Major League Baseball.” He is the Mets all-time leader in hits, runs, walks, RBIs and doubles.
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- 29 Oct 2014Congratulations to our 2014 Branch Rickey Award Fan Voting Winner
- 19 Sep 2014Anthony Rizzo Wins the 2014 Branch Rickey Award
- 10 Oct 2013Congratulations Amy and Noah! Winners of the 2013 Branch Rickey Fan Voting Contest
- 05 Sep 2013Clayton Kershaw wins the 2013 Branch Rickey Award
- 27 Apr 2013Not Just an Outfit: Graduation Suits & Dresses Represent a Rite of Passage
"If things don't come easy, there is no premium on effort. There should be joy in the chase, zest in the pursuit."— Branch Rickey