Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
POSITION: First Base
CHARITIES SUPPORTED: Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation, Chicago Cubs Charities, Make-A-Wish, Lurie Children’s Hospital, University of Miami Health Systems, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital.
~ In 2012, he started the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation to raise money for cancer research and provide support to children and their families fighting the disease.
~ Every month, he visits Lurie Children’s Hospital. As a cancer survivor, he relates particularly to patients on the pediatric oncology floor and inspires them to stay positive and keep fighting.
~ His Foundation has held two “Walk Offs for Cancer” and “Cook Offs for Cancer,” raising more than $500,000 in these first four events.
~ Anthony’s second annual “Walk Off” in December of last year featured a 5K walk to celebrate his five years of being cancer-free. More than 1,000 walkers participated.
~ He is a regular on the Cubs Caravans events, as well as greeting Wounded Warriors and Make-A-Wish kids.
Anthony Rizzo won the Cubs Heart & Hustle Award last season. He is a three-time MLB.com Organization All-Star. He ranked fifth in doubles (40) and sixth in walks (76) in the NL in 2013.
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- 29 Oct 2014Congratulations to our 2014 Branch Rickey Award Fan Voting Winner
- 19 Sep 2014Anthony Rizzo Wins the 2014 Branch Rickey Award
- 10 Oct 2013Congratulations Amy and Noah! Winners of the 2013 Branch Rickey Fan Voting Contest
- 05 Sep 2013Clayton Kershaw wins the 2013 Branch Rickey Award
- 27 Apr 2013Not Just an Outfit: Graduation Suits & Dresses Represent a Rite of Passage
"If things don't come easy, there is no premium on effort. There should be joy in the chase, zest in the pursuit."— Branch Rickey